So I decided I would follow the advice of Raschel and make a pros and cons list about going private. This way not only I would see what I'm debating between, but you too will see my issues and may be able to help me figure out what to do.
PROS in going private
1. First and foremost, SAFETY. As most of you may already know, it is inevitable that Austin will be deployed before this year is up. I would feel very nervous about announcing to the entire blog reading nation about my husband being gone for 7 months while I sit at home ALONE with my four children. Not only this, but very soon he will be gone for his schooling in Rhode Island. Same situation with that. I want to be able to whine on here about missing him if needs be and not worry about some crazy man (or woman) preying on my loneliness.
2. Hmmm...that's really the only pro.
CONS in going private
1. Certain "secret" visitors would not be visiting anymore. So I know I'm pretty much contradicting myself but some of those "secret" visitors are too hush hush to even let me know they are there (even though 'I' know you're there *wink*) and I LIKE them being secretly there (as long as they aren't drawing diagrams of my floor plan and making mental notes about dates and times I'm alone). I don't want to lose those visitors.
2. Logging on issues. Some of my visitors that aren't afraid to say hello, don't say hello because they can't quite figure out the whole google account thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't wanna lose you because it takes too much brain function to figure out how to create an account. I love you my google-retards and I don't wanna close the door to our relationship.
3. Comments. I love em. You know this, I say it all the time. I LOVE COMMENTS!! They make my day, my week, my hour. I seriously sit at the computer all day clicking "refresh", "refresh", "refresh" just waiting for a new comment. No, but really...I do. I worry that going private will limit my comments because people will find visiting me too much of a hassle. Then my self esteem will slowly drop, I may go into a deep depression and quit blogging all together.
4. Unsafe. Back to the pro of going private...it creates a CON for not going private. I don't think I really need to go over this again..you know the problem.
5. Loss of blog hoppers. One of my favorite things about blogs is that you can hop from one to another to another until you find a blog you love and continue to visit it to make you smile and laugh. With a closed blog no hoppers from other blogs will be able to hop to mine which means the amount of visitors I have right now will NEVER grow. I will either stay at this amount or slightly diminish which makes me sad. You have no idea how many people I've met through my blog hoppers and how many friendships have been created because of them. I don't know if I'm willing to lose future fun friends. But then again, if I'm murdered on the side of the road I guess future friends won't matter, right?
So that's that. Any advice? Suggestions? I guess what I really have to say is that I do NOT want to go private. But I fear that not going private and allowing something to happen to my family will forever haunt me. So what can I do to be safe, but also be open? Thank you friends!